Thursday, March 18, 2010

And now for something completely similar...

IMHO, WTF?

It's really E.'s fault or, more specifically, her professor's. She's taking a class in "modern stuff." For homework she's started a blog and a Wiki, joined Twitter and Facebook, and played Second Life. Plus a few dozen other membership-required site that I don't remember. Of course, I had to join all of these so that we could see how it looks from the outside.

The blog is like a public talk - I get to talk all I want and then take questions, which I may or may not answer directly. Facebook, on the other hand, is more like a cocktail party - everybody's talking at once and I wander from conversation to conversation, perhaps saying nothing.

In "first life" I'm inept at both of them, public speaking and cocktail parties. I'd rather just sit home with E. and the kids, where I don't have to worry about whether or not my shoes match my purse. Maybe I'm no more cut out for the modern stuff than I was for the old stuff.

2 comments:

KAZ said...

As I've always told my husband, I'm better in writing than in person. Social media were made for people like me--maybe you, too.

Elizabeth said...

Ah, but in SL you can choose whatever purse you want, or even be a wolf and skip the clothing thing! As for the cocktail party that is FB, I like that you can stand in a corner and listen without seeming odd. None actually knows you're there!
This stuff was invented by people with social phobias, and it shows! Embrace the anti-social socialite in yourself.